Below you can find a reasonably easy step-by-step guide to the installation of IQdesktop and the required components. Note that installation of docker requires administrator rights on the host computer.
Install docker-desktop that you can obtain from here: https://www.docker.com/products/docker-desktop
- Add your username to the
- Press the Windows key
- Type “Computer Management”
- Right click “Computer Management” and select “Run as administrator”
- Navigate to “System Tools” -> “Local Users and Groups” -> “Groups” -> “docker-users”
- Double click “docker-users” group and add your account/username as member
- Update docker settings
- Find the docker icon in the Windows task bar and right click on it, select “Switch to Linux containers…” as shown in the figure to the right. If this option is not shown then do not change it
- Select “Settings” => “General” and uncheck “Use the WSL 2 based engine”
- Select “Settings” => “Resources” => “Advanced” and change the settings as desired. Typically I allow my docker installation to have access to at least half my computers memory and more than half the cores. After all I want to use it for computation.
- Select “Settings” => “Resources” => “File Sharing” in the Docker options and set a tick in the box for the C drive
Additional information: https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/install/.
- Install docker-desktop that you can obtain from here: https://www.docker.com/products/docker-desktop
- Add your user to the
dockergroup using the command
sudo usermod -aG docker "username"
- Click the Docker menu (whale menu) to see preferences and other options
Additional information: https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-mac/install/.
7.2 Docker Hub
Images of IQdesktop are hosted on Docker Hub. No login to Docker Hub is required. The images are accessible publically.
7.3 Downloading IQdesktop
The image of IQdesktop is relatively large (~8GB). The download might take a while, depending on your internet connection. Once downloaded, the image will remain on your system and does not need to be downloaded again. If you want to install updates to IQdesktop, only incremental changes are downloaded.
- On your systems command line type:
docker pull intiquan/iqdesktop:latestto obtain the latest version
- To download a defined version you need to execute
docker pull >>image name<<
>>image name<<is the name of the desired image version. ( e.g.
1.3.1). You find all available versions and their names in the Appendix A.
- Wait until download is completed